Monday, June 8, 2009

Personal Journal Entry (Papa Gunnell)

I know that I haven't made this a private blog, but one of my reasons for doing this is because I am horrible about keeping a journal and I want to be able to record what is going on in my family's lives. This post is a way for me to put into words what I have been feeling lately and for my children to look back at someday and hopefully see how strong of a testimony of the gospel I have. Our family has been thrown a huge hurdle to deal with recently. My dear father-in-law Bruce was recently diagnosed with terminal cancer and it has been very hard for all of us, especially telling the kids. We are so blessed to members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and to have the knowledge of the gospel to bless us at this time. To be able to tell our children that their Papa is very sick and that the doctors can't help him get better was very difficult and then came the question of is he going to die? The answer was something like this: well, all of us die some time and yes Papa is going to die sooner than we thought and sooner than the rest of us, but we are an eternal family and we will all see him again someday. Even though we are sad that he is going to die, he will get to be with his mom and dad and sister again. We need to just let him know how much we love him and try to make happy memories with him while he is still here. That is what we have done...Memorial Day was all about making memories with Papa and so will be the same with 4th of July and the rest of the time that we get to spend with Bruce and Sally at the cabin this summer. It has been very difficult for us to process the diagnosis, it still seems so surreal. Bruce has been a wonderful grandfather to our children and his love of the gospel and his family is a wonderful example to all of us. He has an amazing testimony of the truthfulness of the gospel and he loves his family and isn't afraid to show that love. Our kids have had some really great outings with Granny and Papa and have some amazing memories because of the time they are willing to spend with their grandkids. We love them both so much. As a family we have already witnessed so many blessings that have come about since the cancer was diagnosed and we all feel the love that so many people have for this sweet man and his family. I know that we are being watched over by a loving Heavenly Father and Savior and I know that we will all be together again. I am so grateful for eternal families and for the amazing family that I come from and that I married into. Prayers have been answered and I have no doubt that they will continue to be answered throughout this entire process. We love you Bruce, Dad, Papa!!

2 comments:

telemoonfa said...

I enjoyed reading this post. I've been praying for Uncle Bruce and his family.

Becky and Scott said...

Good job Jen. I loved it. Thanks for this sweet post!